If traffic has increased near your business and it has caused you to be on high alert, investing in a security camera may be beneficial. What type of security camera is best for your commercial needs? If you need surveillance of large areas around your property, a pan-tilt-zoom camera would give you greater coverage activity occurring on your property.
How PTZ Cameras Work
A pan–tilt–zoom camera (PTZ) is a camera that is capable of remote directional and zoom control. The abbreviation, PTZ, describes the movement options of the camera. These security cameras allow you to monitor larger areas that would normally require multiple fixed cameras.
PTZ cameras are made with mechanical parts, which allow the camera and the lens to move automatically. These rotating cameras can automatically move when action or motion is detected, allowing the camera to follow suspicious activity around your business property.
The pan motion on a PTZ camera is when the lens moves from one side to another. This allows the camera to follow suspicious activity horizontally. PTZ cameras that have a 360-degree pan can rotate in a complete circle, providing the ability to see other positions around the commercial property. This full movement gives the camera more flexibility.
When a security camera tilts, it allows you to scan your property vertically, up and down. The range of movement will vary between cameras. A 180-degree tilt allows the camera to see straight ahead, below, and above its fixed position.
Smaller degree ranges may work for some business owners. For larger properties, it is best to get the full movement of a PTZ camera because it offers greater area coverage.
There are two types of zoom options on PTZ security cameras; optical and digital. Optical zoom is when the camera lens physically moves to zoom in. This feature enlarges the area of interest as the lens gets closer. Optical zoom ensures the quality of the image.
Digital zoom enlarges an image that has already been recorded. It allows you to zoom in on an area after recording the video. This feature does affect the quality of the images and video if you zoom in too much.
9 Great Benefits of PTZ Security Cameras
There are many benefits to having an outdoor PTZ security camera. The rotation motion gives PTZ security cameras greater flexibility for commercial surveillance needs. PTZ cameras advantages include:
- Cover large areas such as parking lots, warehouses, and piers.
- Reduce blind spots.
- Provide preset functions so you can just monitor the areas you want. Cruise, tour, and patrol are advanced features that monitor a predetermined area so you can stay focused on that particular location for as long as you need to.
- Patrol your property based on autopilot.
- Digital pan and tilt allow you to move the video after it’s recorded.
- The optical zoom option can capture details without diminishing the quality of the image.
- Preset guard tours allow you to set certain positions on the camera that move on a set schedule.
- Provide flexible viewing angles without needing to reposition the camera. The use of mobile apps and desktop software allow property owners to remotely control the viewing areas of their PTZ security camera.
- Lower installation costs. Just one PTZ camera’s ability to cover larger areas reduces the need for installing several other types of cameras.
Top Features of PTZ Security Cameras
If you’re ready to purchase a PTZ security camera for your property, there are some must-have features and functions that will serve you well in surveilling the areas around your business.
- HD Video Resolution. Aids in getting clear images to identify people or vehicles.
- IR Night Vision. PTZ cameras with infrared LEDs help in areas that are poorly lit.
- Waterproof. PTZ outdoor cameras rated over IP66 can withstand the effects of rain and stormwater.
- Motion Detection. This allows you to respond quickly when the camera detects movement.
- Remote Access & Control. Mobile apps, software or web browsers are designed to be used remotely to control the PTZ movements.
- Two-Way Audio. This feature enables you to send and receive audio messages through the camera.
Need More Surveillance Coverage?
Is your business located in a high-action area? Let Gateway Lock and Security assist with your surveillance needs. We are experienced installers and knowledgeable about all of the different types of security cameras. Our courteous technicians can guide you in choosing the best camera for your needs and location. Contact us today so we can help you achieve the protection that security cameras provide.