Our last blog highlighted the different types of security systems available for your business or residence. This blog will go into more depth on the magnetic locks security systems.
How Magnetic Locks Systems Work
Magnetic locks are an important advancement in access control systems. Key cards or fobs replace traditional keys in allowing access to a building. This control system has many advantages over traditional key entry.
The plastic key cards resemble a credit card and the fobs look like a remote key fob used by later model vehicles. Both the key fobs and cards work the same. Choosing one over the other is a matter of preference.
The cards or fobs trigger magnets inside the magnetic lock in one of three ways:
- Through a magnetic carving embedded in the card or fob
- With a coded magnetic stripe that is swiped into the card reader
- Radio-Frequency Identification (RFID) technology that transmits a frequency signal to the card reader via a smart chip
Regardless of the trigger mechanism, the card or fob will engage the lock and automatically unlock the door when they swipe the card or fob over the card reader. The person can then use the door’s push bar or handle to open the door. After the person enters the building, the door automatically shuts and locks behind them.
10 Advantages of Magnetic Locks Access Control Systems
There are many benefits of using this type of card access control over traditional key-operated locks. We’ve listed 10 of them here.
- Traditional keys can easily get lost or fall into the wrong hands. If an employee loses their access card or fob, the company can simply deactivate that card and issue the employee a new one.
- Allows programming locks for different reasons. They have the capability to allow access only during specific hours, for certain access levels, or even for number of unlocks.
- The card access system shows which cards or fobs access which doors at all times. This way, you can manage your key cards or fobs from your desk rather than walking around testing them at all the doors.
- Designated personnel have control over who has access and when. There is a log generated by the system documenting which cards or fobs were used to gain access, and the time attempted.
- If an employee leaves your company, you simply delete their access to the system. No need to change locks or collect keys.
- One of the prime benefits of a card access control system is the amount of security it affords both your employees and property. If employees work late, they don’t need to worry about unauthorized individuals entering the building.
- Card access systems make it much more difficult for an intruder to copy an access card or fob like they can a key.
- Locks can’t be picked like traditional key locks can.
- If necessary, you can completely unlock or unlock every door to your facility—all from a central control.
- Key cards can be stored in a wallet, lanyard or key ring. Fobs can be kept on a lanyard or key ring, as well.
Gateway Lock & Security Knows Security Systems
The magnetic locks access control system is a reliable solution for your business, offering many advantages over traditional key locks.
Gateway can advise you on the best security system for your needs. We will assess your requirements and determine the optimal solution for your home or business.
We have been in business for over 50 years as a local, family owned and operated company.
Call us today at 636-778-1135 to schedule an assessment to protect your home or business, or send us a message and we will get back with you shortly.